Armed Citizens-Concealed Carry

Armed Citizens

Before 1987 (when Florida laws set the standard for allowing shall-issue carry permits), criminals knew it was very unlikely that their would-be victims were armed. No more! With the majority of states now being shall-issue — and with more citizens carrying guns for protection on more American streets — criminals cannot know who is armed and who is not. This deters criminals and contributes to a decreasing trend in violent crimes nationwide.

While the missions of the police officer and the armed citizen are different, guns in the hands of trained citizens can be just as effective against sudden attack as guns in the hands of trained police. The difference is that the responsibly armed citizen has the gun he or she carries immediately at hand when danger strikes and need not wait minutes or even hours for help to arrive. Most honest cops will tell you that most of the time, when they are called for help, they arrive after the danger has passed.

Violent crime has gone down in the United States for the last several decades, while the number of guns in civilian hands has gone up. But there is still more than enough violent crime to give the prudent citizen cause for alarm.

Violent crime is still a real threat that can strike anyone — anytime, anywhere. The latest statistics from the FBI (2015) show there were 1,197,704 violent crimes reported nationwide and an overall increase of 5.3 percent in that number for the first six months of 2016. These numbers are hard for some of us to understand, but that is because we are rational, law-abiding members of society. We are the sheepdogs that have to help protect our loved ones, our friends and even complete strangers from the wolves out there.

Marijuana Defense

BY CHRIS T. RASMUSSEN, ESQ. of Rasmussen & Kang- A Las Vegas law firm committed to protecting the rights of medical marijuana patients.

Medical Marijana patients are eager for the Nevada Legislature to take action to protect their rights. Norml has been covering the Nevada Legislature. Chris Rasmussen has been a member of NORML to help clarify Nevada’s medical marijuana laws. The confusion can be summed up fairly simply. Nevada law does not allow for patients to purchase marijuana. Patients are required to grow their own marijuana or appoint a caregiver to grow the medicine. This has been a complete policy failure and has kept many patients in the dark about how to legally use the medicine they are rightfully allowed to consume. The medical marijuana FAQ provided by the State of Nevada is provided


Medical Marijuana Frequently Asked Questions
1) Can the Nevada Medical Marijuana Program (NMMP) refer me to a physician?
No. The NMMP does not serve as a referral source. Any Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) licensed in Nevada can recommend a patient for the program.
2) Where do I get the seeds or plants to start growing medical marijuana?
The NMMP is not a resource for the growing process and does not have information to give to patients. It is recommended that you talk to an attorney to learn about your rights and protections.
3) I do not have the money for the application fee. Is it a one-time payment? Can it be waived? Can I make installment payments? Will my insurance pay? Can I pay with my credit card?
The answer to all these questions is “no”. The fee must be paid in full with each new or renewal application. Make your check or money order payable to “Nevada State Health Division”. Cash payments are accepted at the Nevada State Health Division Office, located at 4150, Suite 104 Technology Way in Carson City.
4) Do I have to tell my landlord that I am a patient in the NMMP? Can my landlord evict me if I am a patient in the NMMP and have my grow site in my rental housing? Can I live in subsidized housing and be a patient in the NMMP?
It is up to you to decide whether or not to tell your landlord that you are a patient in the NMMP. Nothing in NRS 453A specifically addresses whether or not you can be evicted because you are a patient in the NMMP, even if you have only the amount of medical marijuana allowed by law. Nothing in NMMP laws specifically addresses whether or not a person can be an NMMP patient and live in subsidized housing. If you have questions about these important issues, the NMMP recommends you talk to an attorney to learn about your rights and protections.
5) Do I have to tell the NMMP if I change my mailing address or add or remove a designated primary caregiver?
The answer to all these questions is “yes”. You are required to tell the NMMP in writing of any such changes within 30 days of the change. The NMMP does not accept changes of information over the telephone. The NMMP only accepts written changes about the patient’s address or designated primary caregiver from the registered patient. You may send your changes to the NMMP by mail, in person, or fax. You will get written confirmation from the NMMP that the change was received. Your changes will be made in our computer database and will be put in your file. You will be protected from civil and criminal penalties for these changes. If you change your caregiver, you will be asked to return your old caregiver card within 7 days.
6) What happens to my application once I mail it? What if I don’t send in all the required parts of my application?
The NMMP will review your application to make sure it is complete and all parts are current. If your application is complete, you will get a 30 day temporary approval letter from the NMMP. On the same day the NMMP sends you a temporary approval we will conduct a criminal background check on you (and your caregiver if applicable).If you don’t send in all the required parts of your application, the NMMP will send you an “incomplete letter” telling you what parts of your application are missing.
7) Who can ingest medical marijuana?
Under NRS 453A, only a person with a qualifying debilitating medical condition who has obtained a valid Nevada Medical Marijuana Program card is excepted from criminal laws of the state for engaging in the medical use of marijuana as justified to mitigate the symptoms or effects of the person’s debilitating medical condition.
8) Why can’t I go to a pharmacy to fill a prescription for medical marijuana?
Pharmacies can only dispense medications “prescribed” by licensed medical practitioners. The federal government classifies marijuana as a Schedule I drug, which means licensed medical practitioners cannot prescribe it.
9) Is the Nevada Medical Marijuana Registry Card recognized by other states? Can I travel to another state with medical marijuana and my NMMP registry identification card and not be arrested or charged with civil or criminal penalties?
At this time, the NMMP is not aware of any “reciprocity” agreements with any other states to honor the Nevada law. This includes even those states that have medical marijuana laws of their own, such as Washington and California. Because Medical Marijuana programs vary by state, you may want to contact the state you are traveling to for information on their laws.
10) What should I tell my employer if I am subjected to a drug test?
The Nevada Medical Marijuana Act states that employers are not required to accommodate employees who use medical marijuana. You may wish to consult an attorney about whether or not to tell your employer that you are a patient in the NMMP. A patient may contact the NMMP in writing to ask the Program to release information about the patient’s registration to an employer.
11) Can I have someone else sign and date my application (a “proxy”) if I am physically unable to do so?
Yes, as long as the individual signing your application identifies him or herself as your proxy next to his or her signature on your application or has provided documentation showing guardianship or power of attorney.
12) Can a patient withdraw from the program?
Yes. A patient must submit a written statement that he or she wishes to withdraw from the Program. The Program will request that all cards be returned and the file will be closed. The patient’s card and all cards associated will be voided. It is the responsibility of the patient to notify his or her caregiver, if applicable, that his or her card is no longer valid. It is the patient’s responsibility to collect all cards associated with his or her patient card and return them to the department. If the Department is notified by the patient that he or she would like to withdraw from the program, the Department shall notify the primary caregiver by mail at the address of record informing the caregiver that his or her card is no longer valid and must be returned to the Department within 7 calendar days. All cards must be returned to the Department within seven (7) calendar days of the date that the Department was notified of withdrawal. If the patient so chooses he or she may reapply as a new patient at any time. In order to reapply a patient must submit the required documentation and application fee as outlined in NAC 453A.
13) Can the NMMP give me legal advice?
No. If you have questions concerning compliance with Medical Use of Marijuana laws in Nevada you should consult a private attorney.

NORML has been on top of providing information about medical marijuana in Nevada. Once the legislature produces a bill, we will post the language and offer advice to our representatives to voice our concerns.

Ratings and Reviews

9.0Christopher Rasmussen
Christopher RasmussenReviewsout of 9 reviews